The Power of Love, and How to Love Yourself.

Beauty


     This is me- in a photo I would have never posted a year ago. (It was also taken nearly a year ago)
In this photo I have no make up- my hair has not been styled (or even brushed!) and I was just doing some stretching in my room wearing a sports bra and leggings. 

     I definitely remember taking this photo- it was after stretching to some relaxing soaking music on my computer, I got up to turn the music to something else and happened to see the photo-booth app at the bottom. I don't know why but I clicked it for fun, to see my photos I last took on there (from like, 3 years ago- playing around with my little brother)... then I switched it to camera and decided to take a shot of myself then. 

I looked at the picture, decided I didn't like it, and closed photo booth.

I'm really glad I did not delete that photo. 
:)

"Faith, Hope, and Love abide, these three. But the greatest of these, is Love."
1 Corinthians 13:13

Love is a big word, and covers so much. 
It is the basis of our Christian life, because God resides in us, and God is Love. (1 John 4:8)
That same verse says that those who do not love, do not know God.

We are called to love because it is the nature of our creator...
But I've found an area in my own life that the enemy was using to hinder me from loving-
and that was when it came to loving myself.

Have you ever looked in the mirror and immediately focused on the negative about yourself?
Where is the love in that? What does that say to our spirit when our mind is constantly thinking bad of the body we dwell in?
And we are made in the image of God- so we are three in one- all working together to make on being. 
So if all three parts of us (Body, Mind, Spirit) work together in unity, 
and our mind is thinking negatively of the body, what do you think that is going to do to our health? 

These are just some questions that have been on my heart the last 2 years, as I've walked through learning to love myself for all of who I am (mind body and spirit), and as I battled an auto-immune disease (this is where the body literally attacks itself.
And I can't help to wonder... is this a side effect from all the negative thoughts over many, many years?

I'm not saying it is, and I'm not saying it isn't...
It's just a thought I've had on this journey of discovery.

As I dive deeper into loving myself-
I'm taking care of my body because I love it, and not because I'm trying to make it be something it's not.
We are all made in a unique body unlike any other... so why are we looking at others to try to be them? This is how we step off of the path that leads us to our own destiny- when we try to be something we are not. 

Love is the key.
And we have it within us, we just need to unlock it.
And I've found the more I love myself, the more I am capable of loving others.
The more I take care of myself, the more I am able to give and take care of others. 

This has been a huge learning curve for me, because I use to walk around (for years) exhausted- trying to give give give, and in the end not taking care of myself with rest, healthy eating, or seeing the good things when I look in the mirror.

I've learned that when I love myself, and my body, my body loves me back.
I no longer feel exhausted- depressed- or battle this auto-immune disease as intensely as I use to.
This doesn't mean I don't get tired, and have bad days- because I do!
It just means I choose love in every circumstance, even when it's hard.
Even when sometimes, I don't believe my thoughts...
I chose love, because Love is truth.




I posted this photo 3 months ago on Instagram...


The post said 
"

I remember posting that photo was a huge mile stone for me.
And today I smile posting this blog, with the first photo of me- looking at it and seeing beauty, when the day I took it, beauty was something I could not see.

I post this to encourage you, both men and women, to love yourself.
Some of you may not even know what loving yourself looks like.

Start in the Mind- when you look in the mirror, stay positive and don't criticize your body. Stop dwelling on the negative things that happen around you- and start thinking and seeing all the positive things! Get REST- rest is so important- and so overlooked. 

Love your Body- what does your body like to do? Maybe you are so out of tune with your body, it's time to do a little self discovery. My body loves to be outdoors- it loves long walks with friends, or to go for a run, it loves climbing a mountain, or taking a hot bath. It loves to be cared for- from eating healthy, to painting my fingernails- these are ways I love my body. 

Find what feeds your Spirit- What makes you passionate, what makes you come to life- and do it! 
Make a day for yourself to go hiking, or go for a walk, or do something you've always wanted to do.
Sing. Dance. Finger paint. Be creative. 

You are Loved.

and Love is within you-
It's time to let it out. 


Comments

Popular Posts