It's time to Walk on Water

John 14:12

"Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater than these, because I am going to the Father." -Jesus.

   This morning I was thinking of this verse. So often I hear this verse in sermons, and they will mention the amazing work of Jesus where He walks on water, and how Jesus tells us we will do greater things than He did. Greater than walking on water? 

   I honestly have never tried to walk on water, but as I was thinking of this, I felt God bring me back to the scene of Jesus walking on the water, and Peter choosing to step out, believing if Jesus is there, he could do it. 

  That takes a lot of trust, and a lot of faith.

  But there is even more to the scene. 

The disciples were in a boat, and the Bible says they were already a long way from shore, beaten by the waves, with the wind against them. They were in a storm

   I know in my previous journal entry I wrote on Hope. And how God has been speaking 'hope' to me since before I really felt the 'winds come against me'... I also received some very hard news on the same day of my last blog post (after I had written it), but I choose hope in the situation, even when it was hard. For if there is one thing I know, it's God is good, and He uses all things for our good. 

   I can definitely feel as if I am in a little boat, being beaten by the waves of discouragement, after a season of God speaking so much hope and promise of the year to come... 

but even in this "boat" I am thankful because I have so much peace. 

   Then I think of Peter in the same situation, and how in the middle of this storm he chooses to step out of the boat and onto the water. The water was not calm- which adds even more to the impossibility of it! But Peter choose to step out. 
   Jesus had already shown them that He could have calmed the storm by saying 'Be Still', for the winds and waves ultimately obey God. 

  So why didn't Jesus do this for the disciples this time?

  This shows me God always has a plan. 

Even when the storm isn't being stilled by God's voice, maybe it's His way of calling us to something MORE. 
   Maybe it's His way of calling us to a greater level of trust, and to step out into the impossible things of walking on the waves. And we can learn by Peter's example to keep our eyes on Him at all times... for when we focus on the waves, that's when we will sink. 

  Don't look at circumstances that go against the goodness of God.... 

Keep your eyes on Jesus, trust Him, and step out of the boat. 
It's time to walk on water, and into the greater things.


Comments

Popular Posts