Love for a Stranger

I got the best birthday present today. Like, nothing can top this present, and I know it was completely from the Lord, because I did something crazy- something way out of my comfort zone, and I didn't even realize it until I got on the bus after the event and was able to reflect on what exactly just happened.
Well, here's the story. Let me start by saying I am a chicken when God tells me to do something, like pray for someone in public. I have my 'comfort-praying-in-public' places, like our slum, and when people I know ask me to pray for them.... but if I'm in public and God nudges me to pray for a stranger- I find some way to avoid it.... and I'm not to proud about that part of me.
So to get to work, we have to take 2 busses... one from our beach into the city, then another from the city to the slum we work in. Well, me and Steph had just gotten off the first bus, and we were walking to the next bus stop, where there is a small box temple that stands about 5 feet off the ground. As we approached the bus stop, there were lots of people (which there always is), but one woman caught my eye who was on her knees, kissing the filthy ground in front of the temple box. We sat on a bench close by because the bus wasn't there yet, and as I watched the lady stand up I noticed that she had tears running down her face. She began wiping the tears with the plow of her sari as she walked around the bench. At first glances I could tell this lady was poor, probably a beggar (which most beggars I try to avoid eye-contact with because then they follow you everywhere). I looked at Steph and said 'She's crying...', and as she cried my heart was breaking because all I could imagine is this lady looking for hope in these idols she is so devoted to. She came around the bench to my side and bent down to pick up a bottle that was next too my feet- the whole time I couldn't help but to just look into her eyes as she continued to wipe tears away. I scooted over on the bench and patted the seat next to me. She sat down, but stayed facing me, and I said, "Can I pray for you?" and folded my hands to show her what I was asking. She nodded and wrapped her arms around my neck and gave me a huge hug. When she pulled away I kept my arms around her and prayed. Afterwards, I looked at her and she was smiling. She said something close to 'Thank you Jesus' then started talking in her language. She started asking me something and pointing to the sky but I told her in my very poor hindi vocabulary, that I didn't know what she was saying and spoke very little hindi. I noticed the bus was there, and if I didn't jump on it then we'd miss it. So I told her goodbye and left her- no longer crying.
As I got on the bus, it really hit me what just happened. "God- what was that?! Because I know that wasn't me." I thought this in my head as the bus headed for the slum. My spirit was pumped like it's never been before- so amazed at the timing- the bus not being there- and me not even thinking but just doing. It was crazy. It was God letting me be used by Him to love that woman.... and that was the best birthday present I could have asked for.

Comments

  1. Cami, I am just so proud of you! You are doing God's work and I know that he is working inside of you! I love you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts