My Month in America

   I wanted to write about my four weeks in America, as it was a very significant time for me.

   I was so looking forward to Thanksgiving with my family. Thanksgiving is one of my favorite times of the year because it's a holiday where we reflect on what we are thankful for (which is really where I try to keep my focus in everyday life), and also it's a holiday where we get to be with family, enjoying good food, and after it's all over, we are officially allowed to celebrate Christmas!

   Unfortunately my jet lag was the worst it's ever been on this trip to America. It took me 3 weeks to be able to sleep through the night, and sleep past 7am. (the first week I was waking up at 3am every morning, even when I was staying up to 11/12 every night.
   This had me feeling really rough that first week. But I was able to attend my visa appointment and send off my documents (much to my moms' help!), and enjoy Thanksgiving with family- although my mind was so exhausted it was hard to hold conversations. But the food was amazing, and I got to see a part of the Macy's Day Parade in the morning, and this made my American heart very happy. :)
Yum! Thanksgiving!

   Also when I arrived, there were boxes stacked in my bedroom of all my wedding decorations. My heart missed my husband terribly, and seeing all these decorations flooded my mind with the amazing memories of that day in August of this year. I decided to re-arrange my bedroom and decorate it with my wedding decorations (the lights and ivy, and little things we had used in the ceremony). I was really happy with the finished result.

A bit of my decorated room in the US
   After applying for my visa (literally the day after I arrived), all I could do was wait. During the process of waiting, and trying to get over jet lag- I kept busy with work and was able to do 11 photo sessions while I was in Charleston. I missed working, and this blessed me so much because it paid for my last minute plane ticket home at the end of December!

I love his cuddles
  I also started working on trying to find a way to get my beloved dog to England. It is a dream of mine that I am not giving up on, although it seems to never workout when planned. However, although in the end, it didn't workout for him to come this time- I am still hoping to bring him over in March of this year.

I made the most of being in America- and although I was very, very busy with work (photo sessions, custom orders for jewelry and paintings) I was so blessed to be able to spend time with family and my best friend! This was much needed for my heart and my spirit as I miss them all so much being in England. I try not to focus on just how much I miss them, and leaving is always really hard after spending good quality time with them... but instead of thinking of how much I'll miss them when I go- I always think of the great time I had with them when I was there, and how much I'm looking forward to the time when I come back to spend with them again.



 


   There were a few days that got really tough. I can definitly say I cried a lot in those 4 weeks. My heart hurt so much being in the unknown- (would I be home in time for Christmas or Shanen's birthday?) - and communication was really hard with me and Shanen's schedules and the time difference. When I woke up, he was at work- and in the evenings (when I wanted to talk to him most) he was already asleep. The only time we had was the middle of my day, and it was hard because I was usually keeping busy or spending time with someone. 
   One particular day, my spirit just felt like giving up. I was tired of holding on and hoping, and I needed to go to the beach. (The beach and the woods always make my spirit feel better when I'm feeling hopeless). So I went for a light run on the beach, and felt God speaking to me as I viewed the waves. 
   I had gone to my favorite beach (Folly Beach), and although I've been there hundreds of times, I had never seen the waves like this. They were intense, and I knew there was no way I could dare to jump in the water that afternoon. Although the sky was calm, the waves looked like they were in a hurricane! (The pics don't show this as intensely as it really was- but trust me, it was crazy rough waters)
   It reminded me of right were I was at- and how this whole year (2016) has been for us... It has seemed like one wave after another- a battle that me and Shanen had to get through to reach each amazing thing that has come with this year- each thing being worth the difficulties and 'fog' of walking in faith. I felt God remind me of what He spoke to me and Shanen of this year being 'wave after wave', and 'the wave that is meant to crush us, will be the wave that lifts us higher'... (*insert Dory's song- "Just keep swimming..." XD)... sorry just had to put a bit of disney humor in that serious moment. :) But in all reality, I sat there on the beach looking at those waves, and feeling like that's exactly where I was... I was in the middle of those waves- after wave, after wave- and I was tired... exhausted from fighting the sea of life this year, and with every victory there was another wave to conquer. And this particular wave we were in at the moment was the hardest yet- and even though I was tired I knew it would be more that worth it. Destiny never comes easily.

 That day, in my hopelessness, I was reminded of God's promise. I am not alone in this. I am a whole ocean away from my other half- but I was standing on that beach with him- through the Spirit of God. And God's presence was just as real to me in that moment as if He were standing right next to me in the sand. In that moment, I knew that in my waiting- God would lead me through this last wave.

Hard to see how rough the waters actually were, but they were loud and intense.



The Wave prophetic painting I did at the start of 2016 (read my past blog post for full meaning) 
  There were quite a few days that were hard on me, but I can definitely say that the goodness in this trip to America far outweighed the hardness of it. The goodness of love- family, friends, and getting to be with my New Day Community Church family. Getting to celebrate Christmas with loved ones (I love the way Charleston does Christmas!)... Also meeting new friends, and especially getting to spend time with my best friends little one, who has grown so incredibly much since the last time I was able to play with him! 


He's just too cute!




   My prayer was to be home the weekend of December 18th- just in time for Shanen's birthday on the 22nd. But when Friday, December 16th came- and the visa tracking number still said it had not left England, I knew I would not make it home that weekend. My heart was sad, but I knew I would have another good weekend with my family. I just wanted so badly to be home for Christmas. 

   But that afternoon as I was out running errands I got a phone call from my mom- the visa had arrived! This was so crazy because the tracking never notified us that it had left England- yet it was in her hands! I was so happy I burst into tears (right in front of the cashier of EarthFare where I was picking up some lunch) haha! It was literally a Christmas miracle! 

  My flight home was so amazing! I found a flight out of Miami on Sunday for only $220! (Now, if I were to book a flight from Charleston to Manchester- it was nearly $2000!)... So, I booked a flight to Miami Saturday afternoon for only $177- stayed a night at a really nice hotel near the airport for $125 (and they gave me free extra late checkout the next day!), and then took the direct $220 flight the next afternoon to Manchester! All of that adding up to just a bit over $500- saving me money AND giving me a luxurious trip home! 
   I was able to get to my hotel by 8pm Saturday night- watch a Christmas film on TV and get a good night sleep. Go for a run in the gym the next morning, and have a nice big free hot breakfast from the Hotel, then layout by the pool for a bit before showering and getting ready to head to the airport that afternoon. It was the best international travel I've had yet!
The Hotel
Welcome to Miami!


My kind of December :)
   And at last- I came home to a wonderful surprise from my love (because he was at work when I walked in the door)... but it was the best welcome home ever!

My Welcome Home
   That week I had no jet lag, and was able to celebrate his birthday and Christmas with the most thankful heart in the entire world. 
I was whole again.
 
My love on his birthday :)


English Christmas Dinner! :P

I made my American Pumpkin Pie for our English Christmas Dinner! 


Together at last... God is so Good
x












Comments

Popular Posts