Just Another Day in India

So many random things happen in India each day, it's crazy. So today when I woke up I thought I'd just write down everything that happens today and post a blog about it so everyone can experience the randomness a little. I decided this before I started my day, so again this is just an average random day in India.

I woke up to my alarm going off at 6:00- I did not want to wake up. Usually me and Steph go running at this time, which can be a little scary for me because there are street dogs out who aren't use to seeing white people running so they bark at us. But today I was way to tired, so I called Steph and told her 'not today'. "THANK YOU" she said, and we both went back to sleep. I woke up an hour later, started getting ready, and went downstairs to make breakfast and coffee. Now, the place we live is a guest house/hotel thing, where there are about 10 rooms, (5 upstairs and 5 downstairs), we have access to all the rooms upstairs (for when teams come) as well as the kitchen which we have to go outside to get to. Our 'dining area' is a patio in the backyard where all the guests here can sit if they wish. There are about 5 plastic tables and chairs out there. It is quite nice except for the misquotes and the random bats that fly down at night and nearly hit you in the face-true story. Anyways, so I went outside and into the kitchen and lite the gas stove to boil some water. I made a peanut butter, honey, and banana sandwich using hot-dog-bun bread (and it was delish). I heard some indian quests talking outside as I took my food and coffee out to the patio and set it on a table. There were about 3 Indian men standing there watching me. I went back into the kitchen to grab my bible and devotional, and when I came back out, one of the Indian men were looking at what I had put on the table. I figured he was just being extremely noisy, gave him a look, and sat down. Then I realized that one of my sandwiches was off the plate, and looked like someone had tried to take a bite out of it! There was no way that man had time to do that, and when I looked closer at it I realized the bite looked like the beak of a crow (crows, pigs, goats, cows, and dogs are everywhere here). So I now realized that was why the man was starring at my food- a crow must have tried to get it. So I took my spoon and cut off the piece where the beak had been, and ate my sandwich.

After breakfast, I turned around to go back in the kitchen and wash the dishes- and the 3 indian men standing there had multiplied to 6. They all watched me as I walked by them and into the kitchen. Right when I got inside the kitchen I heard "Madam" and turned around. The smallest indian man was behind me, standing outside of the kitchen and said "Photo?". This was his way of asking if he could talk a picture of me. "No Photo." I said, and he held up his hands, folded, to show kind of a 'please?'. "No Photo." I repeated and turned to start washing dishes. They were gone when I was finished.

After breakfast I went upstairs to brush my teeth, then came back down to wait outside for my friend Suresh, who give me a ride to a preschool I teach at 3 days a week. I enjoy these rides because it is on a motorcycle, which is really fun.

Today at the preschool I taught the kids how to draw a cat, or billi in Hindi.

Nothing too interesting happened in preschool, unlike the day before where we had a little boy who enjoyed exposing himself during morning circle time.

After preschool I went back to meet Stephanie for lunch. We ate at a small Indian restaurant and I got 2 of my most fav dishes: Gobi Manchurian and Gobi Lollypop. Sooo Good!

We had english class at 3 so we went to our flat near the slums to wait on the girls. One of my favorite girls, Kannkoa, showed up with henna and did mahendi on me and Steph. Then she had me do one on her and was so excited about how well I did mahendi for my first time. This sparked an idea, which I will write about another day.

Towards the end of english class one of the girls children peed on the floor. Whoops.

After English, we went to womens nutrition, and did house visits. We we so exhausted but it is so rewarding to just visit the slums where everyone is begging us to come into their little houses. These slum houses may not have running water, but they will have cable tv, which is interesting. But that's kinda how everything in India is lol. We were visiting with one woman, and praying for her when this random guy walks in playing "gasolina" on his phone. He just thought he was so cool. :P

Finally our day ended by going home, making grilled cheese with hotdog buns and watching Pirates of the Caribbean 2.

Comments

Popular Posts