Kutta

So- for everyone who knows me, they know the obsessive love I have for my dog, Kutta. Even some of my Indian friends think it is pretty crazy how much I love my dog. What is even crazier for them, is that I named my dog Kutta, which is the hindi word for 'dog'.
Dogs over here are treated pretty badly. Street dogs are probably the lowest you can get in the animal world here... besides a pig.
Well, I am taking Hindi lessons, and sometimes men over here make me extremely mad- especially when they try to put their hands on us. So far I haven't had too many of these bad experiences... just a few on the bus, and luckily it has mostly been them touching my arm.
One day when I was walking across an overpass, a group of guys walked by and reached out to touch my arm as they passed. When I looked back they giggled like a bunch of school girls. I was so mad because in this culture that is inappropriate. So I asked my hindi teacher what to say to them. I wanted to call them something really nasty.
Originally I learned how to call them "dirty pigs" in hindi, but he gave me another thing to shout at them: Kutta.
I was so sad when I heard this, and I told him I could never shout my beloved dogs name in a mean way- as a bad word! So I will stick with the dirty pig thing. :P

Comments

Popular Posts