Bangalore

So I have been in Bangalore for the past few days. We were able to get a flight out for next Sunday, so I will be here another week- then be back in Goa. I really enjoy staying here- especially being able to take an auto-rickshaw everywhere and not having to fight for a spot on the bus like we do in Goa. But, I do enjoy the bus rides too (when I get a seat)… especially when they are playing extremely loud indian music. lol.
Me and Steph are living with a friend here named Kay. She just moved into her apartment here so things aren't quite unpacked and she doesn't have her stove set up yet. Our first night together we made microwavable mac-n-cheese (from the states!) with tuna and chopped tomatoes. I seriously think it was the best meal yet. I so enjoyed just being able to stay in, sit at the table and hangout with these girls and eat a nice "home-cooked" meal. :)
I've noticed a lot of muslim girls here are wearing burkas (not sure if I spelled that right or not). When I was over here a year and a half ago, I didn't see too many girls wearing burkas, but just head wraps that covered their hair. I thought this may be a south Indian thing, but the other night an Indian friend told us that he asked his muslim friends about it, and they explained that they believe the 'end of times' is coming soon, so they are becoming stricter to live 'by-the-book', which they were speaking of the Qur'an. The interesting thing is, wearing a burka is nowhere to be found in the Qur'an (from what I have heard from others that have studied Islam). But I thought this was very interesting, and I am looking for a book on Islam just because I find it so fascinating. Plus, I'd like to talk to these girls about something that they base their lives on- so I can hopefully share my own life with them. :)

Comments

Popular Posts