Dr. Pepper and Baby Lotion

So after a week or so of being in India, the first thing I have craved is a diet dr. pepper. I love dr. pepper but it is impossible to find one here. They do have pepsi, coke, and every now and then I can find a Mnt Dew or a Diet Coke.
Yesterday we were at the biggest mall in India. This mall is HUGE- def the biggest mall I have ever been in.
The bottom floor of this four story mall was a Spar store (Spar is like the Indian version of WalMart). So we were doing some shopping… I had no idea I'd be spending over a week in Bangalore, so I didn't bring much with me, so I bought some Kurtas and lotion and stuff like that. We were getting a few groceries when I spotted it- A diet Dr. Pepper! I squealed with excitement and held it up saying "look what I found!". I was SO excited and couldn't wait to open it. My friend said "check the expiration date on that thing because it looks like it has been sitting there awhile." And she was right, the top of the can was pretty dirty and the can itself advertised Iron Man 2 coming soon to theaters. But the expiration date said Aug 2011 so I was good. :) Even if it had expired, I would have probably bought it.
We got in the auto to go home and I got the can out, cleaned off the top, and popped it open. All my great expectations came to a roaring halt when the liquid hit my mouth. It was so gross. After that first sip, and my friends saying "So, how is it??" I thought for a second and said, "I'm not sure… it tastes kinda weird." I took another sip, then another- just hoping for the flavor I remembered to come back. After about 5 sips I looked at my friend and said "You try it- maybe I just think it tastes weird." She took a sip and said, "Ew. It tastes like they forgot the flavor" I said "yea- it's like they put the carbonated soda in there and only one of the 23 flavors they advertise." lol. So we poured it out of the rickshaw and hoped that a motorcycle wasn't behind us.
That night, I had another high expectation on the lotion I had bought for my hands and face (over here my hands and face always feel so dry). Johnson's Baby Lotion- the actual brand name, in the small pink bottle. I got into bed and immediately put the lotion on my hands and rubbed it on my face. I was pretty shocked when the smell was quite different than I had remembered. I said to my friend sleeping on the other side of the room, "Oh my gosh- even the baby lotion has that india smell- and I just rubbed it all over my face!" She just laughed. I laid back down and wondered aloud, "How do they do that?!" Oh India. :)

Comments

Popular Posts